Over the years my understanding of supplements as well as my nutritional needs have changed. Early into my fifth decade, I am more conscious than ever of taking the steps necessary to maximize both vitality and longevity. To this end, I am constantly tweaking my daily regimen to help me feel and perform my best.
If you would like me to help you build a customized program like I’ve done for so many of my clients, please reach out. I’d be more than happy to help!
Following are the supplements I currently take, grouped broadly by category.
Cognitive & Brain Health. Anti-inflammatory
1. Vitamin D. Orthomolecular Vitamin D 5000iu. Vitamin D supports bone health, immune function, and overall well-being, and plays a crucial role in calcium absorption and immune system modulation.
2. Fish Oil Carlson Elite Omega 3. Fish oil, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, promotes heart health by supporting cardiovascular function, reducing inflammation, and maintaining healthy triglyceride levels. A single serving provides 1,600 mg of omega-3s, including the important omega-3s EPA and DHA.
3. Magnesium Natura Dual-Mag Complex. Magnesium is essential for muscle and nerve function, energy production, and bone health, and plays a vital role in over 300 biochemical reactions in the body! Natura Dual Mag is a magnesium supplement that combines magnesium glycinate and magnesium oxide, providing support for muscle function, relaxation, energy production, and overall cardiovascular health. As you know, cardiovascular health directly affects brain health.
4. Ginkgo Biloba MediHerb Ginkgo Biloba provides circulation to the periphery. This herb is excellent at supporting micro-circulation and may enhance cognitive function by improving blood flow to the brain, supporting memory. Ginkgo also has antioxidant properties. It is considered an adaptogenic herb in my studies.
5. Turmeric MediHerb Turmeric Forte. Turmeric (active compound curcumin) is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant, known for supporting joint health, reducing inflammation, and contributing to overall well-being. In a clinical study, a curcumin-fenugreek fiber extracted formulation, as found in Turmeric Forte, had 24.8 times the bioavailability of an equivalent amount of unformulated curcuminoids.
Immune System Support
6. Echinacea MediHerb Echinacea Premium. Echinacea is believed to stimulate the immune system, potentially reducing the severity and duration of colds and upper respiratory infections. My understanding of echinacea is that that makes the immune system more efficient at identifying external pathogens early on in infections. Echinacea Premium combines the roots of Echinacea angustifolia and Echinacea purpurea extending the half-life and therefore active benefit of this herb.
7. Mushrooms Real Mushrooms 5 Defenders. Real Mushrooms is one of only three mushroom companies I use in the U.S. and Canada. This product is a blend of reishi, maitake, shiitake, turkey tail, and chaga, providing immune and antioxidant support.
8. Custom Herbal Extracts. Ted’s Tinctures Daily Wellness Formula. A modification of a classic formula for allergies, Jade Windscreen, this formula has the added benefit of modern immune herbs like Echinacea and energy and mood-enhancing herbs like Lavender and Rhodiola.
Men’s Health. Muscle Building.
9. Amino Acids Body Health Perfect Amino. Amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, play a crucial role in muscle building, repair, and overall protein synthesis, supporting muscle health. This product provides the eight essential amino acids for protein synthesis that your body must get from dietary sources. In my opinion, amino acids are the most effective protein supplement for building muscle and bone.
10. DHEA Pure Encapsulations DHEA 25mg (dehydroepiandrosterone) is a precursor to sex hormones. I use it to support hormonal balance as it supports all hormone pathways.
11. Saw Palmetto Karuna Saw Palmetto 160mg. Saw Palmetto is often used to block the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). At 150-300mg daily, it can also be used to support prostate health and manage symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in men. DHT is also responsible for male pattern baldness.
12 Overall Men’s Health Natura Night Gain. Broadly, I consider this product as an herbal testosterone booster. Natura Night Gain is designed to support muscle growth and recovery during sleep, providing nutrients that aid in nighttime muscle building. Note: I test my hormones quarterly, to make sure everything is in range. I suggest you do the same!
13. Nitric Oxide Support Pure Encapsulations Nitric Oxide Ultra. This product supports healthy nitric oxide production to promote healthy blood flow. Nitric Oxide Ultra contains 200mg of the amino acid L-Citrulline, as well as a proprietary blend of cranberry and grape extract to offer vascular support, as well as heavy flow-mediated dilation (aka blood flow under increased demand).
It’s important to create a supplement program tailored to you specific needs, keeping in mind that metabolic and cardiovascular health are the foundations to any successful program. It’s also important to understand and manage hormonal balance and immune function. Seek out the advice of a qualified practitioner to help you identify where to begin.